Stay safe using your hot water bottle or heat pack this winter

Stay safe using your hot water bottle or heat pack this winter

Here at The Hot Water Bottle Company we take the safety of hot water bottles very seriously and this includes educating people on how they can stay safe whilst using a hot water bottle. 

We found this brilliant article at written by Delia Rickard, Deputy Chair of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. 

"Hot water bottles look harmless enough but they can cause serious burns or scalding if they are faulty, unsafe or used incorrectly.

Burns can occur while filling the bottle, when the bottle bursts or leaks, or when a bottle filled with hot water directly contacts the skin.

Rubber products perish so you need to replace your bottle regularly – each winter or every second year, depending on how much you use it and how well you store it.

Tips on safe use of hot water bottles

  • Inspect your hot water bottle carefully. Throw it out if there are any signs of leaks or if it looks cracked, damaged or brittle. A simple way to check for leaks is to put cold water in the bottle first.
  • Avoid injuries by waiting until hot water has cooled down a bit before filling the bottle and be careful not to overfill it.
  • Laying, resting, sitting or putting pressure on a hot water bottle may cause it to burst. For this reason, take the bottle out of bed before you climb in.
  • When relieving aches and pains use a cover or wrap the bottle in a towel to prevent direct contact with the skin. Do not leave the bottle on one part of the body for too long as burns can occur gradually. [At The Hot Water Bottle Company we advise that a cover is always used on a hot water bottle].

Remember to always follow the British Standard 1970:2012 instructions for filling, using and storing your hot water bottle.

Using heat packs safely

Microwavable heat packs are another great way to keep warm, but they also come with their own safety in use guide.

Heat packs can be a fire hazard if used incorrectly. They have been linked to fires when placed under bedding and can catch fire in the microwave if heated for too long.

  • Do not use heat packs in confined spaces that can trap heat, such as under blankets or on bedding.
  • Minimise risks by buying heat packs that come with clear heating instructions. Be cautious of wheat bags bought at markets and craft stalls; if they do not have heating instructions, do not buy them as it very possible that they have not been tested for safety to the British Standard 8433:2004.
  • Always follow the heating instructions and allow the heat pack to cool fully before re-heating.
  • As soon as your heat pack to smell burnt or charred, or if you notice this smell when heating it, let it cool down in the kitchen sink before disposing of it.


Back to blog